The Macon Police Department currently has openings for officers.
We invite qualified applicants of both genders, and of all races, ethnicities and backgrounds to apply.
The Macon Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
MPD EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Meet all requirements for peace officers as specified in Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Act (O.C.G.A. 35-8-1 Et. Seq.)
- Minimum of 20 years-old
- Citizen of the United States
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Complete a polygraph examination by a certified MPD polygraph examiner
- Pass a physical conditioning test administered by the Human Resources Department
- Pass the assessment center evaluation
- Pass a physical examination by a physician designated by the City of Macon
BENEFITS FOR ALL MACON POLICE DEPARTMENT EMPLOYEES:
- HEALTH INSURANCE: Employees are covered under a group hospital and medical plan. Dependent coverage is available, paid by the employee, through payroll deduction.
- EQUIPMENT & UNIFORMS: In keeping with the progress of a modern police department in a diverse community, sworn personnel receive state-of-the-art police tools including, uniforms, weapons, leather gear, bullet proof vest and all other equipment necessary to perform their duties.
- RETIREMENT: Normal retirement occurs with 25 years of service and 50 years of age. Compensation will be 50% of your annual salary, based on an average of the three (3) calendar years of service, whether consecutive or nonconsecutive, which yields the highest average and a maximum of 70%. An additional 2% per year may be earned up to 35 years of service. Officers may participate in the Peace Officer’s Annuity and Benefit Fund, a retirement fund with outstanding benefits, for only $20.00 per month (payroll deducted).
- LIFE INSURANCE: Employees are provided life insurance, by the City of Macon, equal to 1 1/2 times their annual salary. Georgia law provides a $50,000.00 benefit for a line-of-duty death, while federal law provides $100,000.00.
- CREDIT UNION: Employees may elect to become members of the City of Macon’s Employee’s Credit Union and the Police Department Credit Union.
- DEFERRED COMPENSATION: As a city employee, you are eligible to participate in PEBSCO, a deferred compensation 457 Plan. You may defer, tax-free, up to $8,000.00 or 25% of your salary (whichever is less) per year.
- OTHER BENEFITS: Eligibility for take home police car after a designated period of time. Physical fitness equipment is available 24 hours a day. Officers are allowed three (3) hours per week for physical fitness training while on duty.
To become a Macon Police officer you must complete the online application and do the following:
- CLICK HERE TO Apply Online at the City of Macon website www.cityofmacon.org
- Complete a fingerprint and records check
- Pass Physical Conditioning Test (PCT)
- Pass Police Assessment Test
- Take a psychological test (MMPI)
- Complete a Polygraph
- Complete a background investigation and receive approval
- Pass a medical examination, including a drug test
- If you are disqualified based on any of the requirements above, you must wait at least 6 months to reapply.
GEORGIA MANDATED OFFICERS
Officers certified and mandated by the State of Georgia and hired by the Macon Police Department will be required to satisfactorily complete the following training:
- Policies and Procedures
- Report Writing
DISQUALIFICATION WILL OCCUR UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES:
- You have been convicted of a felony or most misdemeanors under state or federal law for which you could have served time.
- You have committed five (5) or more traffic offenses in the last twelve (12) months for which a fine of over twenty-dollars ($25.00) was imposed
- You were dishonorably discharged from the armed services, you must submit DD-214
- You have been dismissed from public service for cause
- You have made a false statement of fact, or attempted fraud or deception in your application or other required documents
DRUG ABUSE POLICY
Current drug abusers are not eligible for employment. Applications will be reviewed of persons having a past history of drug abuse. Consideration for employment will depend upon the circumstances, frequency of usage, and length of time since last usage.
CLICK HERE TO Apply Online at the City of Macon website www.cityofmacon.org